THE ROLE: Senior Designer
LOCATION: Richmond, BC
We are Vancouver-designed, North American made, and globally inspired. Our belief in slowing down the fashion cycle led us to make clothing on demand and with a clear purpose – to delight our #smashtessfam. Our best-selling fabric is a sustainable rayon from bamboo and cotton blend, and although it costs more for us to use it, it’s proven to stand the test of time and retain its shape and softness when treated well. We ensure that our clothing is made in happy and healthy origins and that all our manufacturing partners are aligned with our values.
Founded by a mother-daughter team, who, like you, are pursuing big dreams while managing full-on family lives and everything in between. Every body, in every chapter of life, should feel comfy and cute and this is a place where everyone is welcome and celebrated.
Women are changing the world, and they need clothes that can change with them. This is the power of everywear: cute, comfortable, reliably versatile clothes that measure up. Our design team is responsible for creating collections our #smashtessfam can’t live without!
WORKING AT SMASH + TESS:
We love Mondays! Some things you should know about what it’s like to be on the Smash + Tess rocket ship:
We are a team of collaborative, creative, authentic, and highly effective people. Together we are launching the #romperrevolution!
We get big things done at an extraordinary pace, while making space for joy, friendship, and fun.
The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and kicking at Smash + Tess -- we move forward boldly. We believe in giving people a big job that they love and empowering them to lead and own the area they’re responsible for.
We thrive in a working culture where collaboration is queen. It’s important to us that each team member’s voice is heard and valued. We solve problems creatively as a team, and celebrate each other’s impact.
Reporting to the CEO, as Design lead, you will be responsible for leading our design team and creating comfy, elevated, everyday clothes that aligns with our brand DNA. With the support of our dedicated team, this role is responsible for all product development, from concept, design, fit, and a bit of production for all S+T in-house and collaboration collections. You will play an essential role in leading and delivering the highest quality product through design and development knowledge and proactive collaborative communication with cross function teams and external vendors.
- Design four seasonal collections from concept to commercialization. Ensuring fabric, colours and silhouettes are top-of-mind. Continually evaluate collections to evolve quality, fit and appearance that align to customer feedback and ensure offering is well positioned to exceed revenue plan
- Design, illustrate, and present collab collections with collab partners.
- Diligently create the future vision and market viability of collection aligned to brand DNA
- Proactively align product designs to partnering licensing guidelines, standards, and protocols
- Additional duties as assigned
- Ensure product fit is aligned with universal sizing standard (pattern block creation, proficient in grading, consistency)
- Lead fittings with clear direction and fit solutions.
- Lead and execute in-person collab/partner fittings for dedicated customized products/collections
- Excellent communicator, passing off accurate product information to Product Developers to ensure successful prototypes, materials, trims, and colours are captured
- Additional duties as assigned
- Proactively liaise with production house partners in regard to design and fit.
- Work with local and overseas mills to develop and source fabrics for each season.
- Additional duties as assigned
Know and live the company values through inspirational leadership and leading by example
Sticking to process, communication, commitments, and budget on what has been agreed upon
Uncover opportunities for growth, improvement, or efficiency
Oversee and keep a pulse on key metrics and customer feedback
Actively practice "issue, options more than two, and my best solution is..." mindset
Additional duties as assigned
QUALIFIATIONS + REQUIREMENTS:
- 5+ years of experience in Production and/or Apparel Design
- 3+ years in a leadership role
- Post-secondary education in Fashion Design or a related field
Located within driving distance of our headquarters in Richmond, BC, with access to reliable transportation. To successfully perform the requirements of this role, it will be necessary to be work at our office workspace, and travel and local production houses from time to time
- Understanding and experienced in designing in multiple categories.
- Strong sketching skills: hand sketching and on Illustrator.
Strong understanding of the product lifecycle process, from concept to consumer
Extensive understanding of design intent, construction, production and fit
Strong knowledge of raw materials, technical construction, and sourcing
Experience working with local and overseas production
Experience in product costing and negotiation
- High proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc) and Adobe programs (Illustrator, Photoshop etc.)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, and a professional demeanor
- Flexibility, patience, and strong problem‐solving skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple projects at once while maintaining exceptional attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and deliver results independently, as well as partner and collaborate cross-functionally
- Personable, flexible, and professional demeanor – able to represent the company well with external partners, customers, and affiliates
If this role is calling your name, we look forward to hearing from you!
Smash + Tess warmly welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and groups. We are committed to a culture of creative collaboration that celebrates diverse perspectives and voices.
Smash + Tess was founded in a region south of the Fraser River which overlaps with the unceded, traditional, and ancestral lands of the Kwantlen, Musqueam, Katzie, Semiahmoo, Tsawwassen, Qayqayt and Kwikwetlem peoples. We acknowledge and express deep gratitude to these peoples, on whose territory Smash + Tess operates, benefits, and flourishes.